A SWEET THING FOR BRUNCHIt’s hard not to see the colors of Spring every time my head turns in April. In fact, instead of avoiding it, I’ve decided to embrace it more than ever this year; I went out and bought myself a fitted Peplum dress varnished in pink, orange, and teal flowers. It’s one of the brightest things hanging in my closet after a bleak winter filled with dark, solid turtlenecks. I’m so ready for this change, and all this enthusiasm has obviously spilled over into my baking project for the weekend. I’m sticking to this resplendent and inspiring color palette with sunlit raspberries and lots of citrusy orange zest.
- 2 cups of AP flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1/2 cup of sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2 and 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 8 tablespoon (1 stick) of very cold unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups of half and half plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 cups of frozen raspberries
For the Orange Glaze:
- 4 large Navel oranges
- 2 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
Now for the fun part. Hand mixing!
To make Orange Glaze:
Zest the oranges, remove all their skin (and whites) with a paring knife, and cook in a pot with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Add 2 tbsp of the zest to the pot while it’s boiling and turn the heat down. Once reduced to a syrup, strain the liquid to remove the extra pulp.